Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Since you asked

Luke Handley poses a series of questions in his review of JSA #4 at Silver Bullet Comics. Several other reviewers have echoed the same theme.

Here's what he said:
All in all, I like the look of this new Society and do have hopes for the future. Except for one thing. Could someone please explain to me how the hell Power Girl is a good choice for the new Chairman? Chairwoman. Or is the PC version Chairperson nowadays? Never mind. The point is, why? As I said, I’m far from a DC historian, but is there anything in this character’s history that suggests she can coordinate and lead the largest and arguably most powerful assemblage of heroes in the world? Maybe Johns thought it was time to have a female leader, and in that context I guess there’s not much choice. Having said that, Stargirl almost seems a more logical choice for the role.
To his specific question: is there anything in this character’s history that suggests she can coordinate and lead the largest and arguably most powerful assemblage of heroes in the world?

My short answer: Hell yes.

(When time allows, a longer reply will follow.)

Update (4.5.07): I suppose that Mr. Handley now plans to cut and paste a version of this paragraph into his review of JLA #7, replacing the words Power Girl with Black Canary.

Comments:
Has this person like... not been reading comics.. evar? XD

I think Power Girl might get the short end of the stick from some readers b/c they feel she's just fan service and dismiss her whenever she shows up :\
 
"Chairman? Chairwoman. Or is the PC version Chairperson nowadays? Never mind."

Anyone who pretends helplessness in using gender inclusive language clearly has "issues". Obviously he needs to pull out the bogeyman of "PC" (translation: non-bigoted language) in order to dismiss some woman's accomplishments, which he can't on legitimate grounds.

Oh wait, this is Silver Bullet Comics.
 
I pretty much agree with the sentiments posted above.

That said, I am a tad concerned about PG's ability to lead, given how impulsive she can be. But that's another matter, and I'm sure she can grow into the role.
 
This is off topic Melchior but I had trouble sending you an email in regards to your question on one of my blogs. I sent one to your AOL account and have added my email address to my profile so you can email me.
:D
 
Thanks for your comments!

I couldn't agree with you more about the fan service + dismissal connection, Ami.

Michelle: yeah, that "or is the PC version ..." sentence is pretty revealing.

Filby: Might not one woman's "acting on impulse" be another's following "good instincts"?

Dawn: Thanks for tracking me down here. I've emailed you from my college account.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?