Thursday, August 10, 2006
The Book Meme
1. One book that changed your life:
J.H. Elliott, The Count-Duke of Olivares: The Statesman in an Age of Decline, (Yale UP, 1986).
This well-researched, elegantly written book helped me decide to become a historian.
2. One book you have read more than once:
G. Cabrera Infante, Three Trapped Tigers, (Harper 1965/1971).
3. One book you would want on a desert island:
James Joyce, Ulysses, (Shakespeare and Co., 1922).
4. One book that made you laugh:
John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces, (LSU Press, 1980).
5. One book that made you cry:
Kashuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go, (Knopf, 2005).
6. One book you wish had been written:
Ibuprofen Is Not a Vitamin: Proven Relaxation Techniques for Obssessive Grad Students.
7. One book you wish had never been written:
William Archibald Dunning, Reconstruction, Political and Economic, 1865-1877, (Harper and Bros., 1907).
8. One book you are currently reading:
Paul E. Johnson, Sam Patch: The Famous Jumper, (Hill and Wang, 2003)
9. One book you have been meaning to read:
Samuel Richardson, Clarissa; or, The History of a Young Lady, (1747-8).
10. Tag five people!
The hardest part of the whole meme business. (Though I do look forward to reading people's responses.)
Nida Z.; Heidi M.; Will P.; Calvin P.; and Shelly.
Thank you for including me!