Monday, May 22, 2006

Young America '76

I re-read Superman #300 (June 1976) this weekend, and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt (ad).


Actually, this is quite an ad: isn't that mop-topped fellow just the definition of 70s youth coolitude?

He's white. He's tall. Centrally placed. Racially tolerant. His head subtly tilts toward the girl, like he's about to pay attention to her. He's a knowing smiler.

And the beaming girl's eyes are focused on his face like a laser.

The ad is a veritable visual description of relaxed alpha malehood.

(And isn't that Todd Bridges on the right, who would go on to memorably portray Willis in TV's Different Strokes?)

However, since it's the 70s, the girl does get to stand on her own in a second (microscopic) picture:


Comments:
This is too much. Did I actually live through that era? Wow.
 
I ask myself the same thing ... all the time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?