Sunday, April 09, 2006

A Bicentennial Message



From my yellowing copy of the Justice League of America #128 (March 1976).

All I can say is, Superman should get into the habit of actually reading the ad copy before he gets to the recording studio.

In spite of my desire to make it so, his message is not a call for Americans to seek justice for children.

Instead, Superman is informing his readers that the social orderliness we all desire requires that even the nation's carefree youth must obey the laws and make their community a better place to live.

(And I always thought Superman was the one who frowned upon youth vigilantism.)

It might be argued that perhaps Superman is directing his comments more to his urban readers, here, imploring them to please, please, please stop trying to burn the motha' down.

Comments:
oh god - I remember reading that ad as a kid! Of course, as a child, I didn't appreciate the true message of the piece. I just thought "hey, is that the same artist on Green Lantern?"
 
Yeah, I had a similar reaction when I first saw it back in the day. For me it was also wrapped up with the general excitement around "the nation's birthday." (My family totally got into the bicentennial.)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?