Thursday, February 02, 2006

Boxload of British Funny

Recently Acquired:

The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All The Words, volumes 1 & 2, (Pantheon, 1989).

John Cleese and Connie Booth, The Complete Fawlty Towers, (Pantheon, 1988).

Black-Adder: The Whole Damn Dynasty 1485-1917, (Penguin, 1999).

I've been searching for reasonably priced, used copies of each of these books for quite some time. Imagine my surprise when I found all of them at my local used book store, each volume clean, cheap, and unspoiled.

Now I know what you're thinking: "Melchior, you could have just gone online, ordered reasonably priced used copies of each of these books, and had them delivered to your door."

That's true. But these books had become part of a quest. (I had even already purchased cheap but damaged copies of vol. 2 of the MPFC and the Fawlty Towers.) Searching for them at used book stores had become something of a habit (or, if you're inclined towards Freud, a ritual). Had I gone the easy route, I would have robbed myself of the joys of the hunt and the rush I got from seeing the books together on a single shelf.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?